Friday, January 27, 2012

These things don't happen in Lafayette!

So, I talked a lil about my younger brother Jeremy. He was 3 yrs younger than I and youngest of my mom's 3 kids. Growing up it was always, Joey, Jennifer, Jeremy and these days it's not so. July 6, 2011, four evil people tortured and murdered him for no aparent reason. Three are charged and one is walking free. I got a message on Facebook from his landlord and childhood friend to call her NOW, Jeremy is missing and there is crime scene tape at his house. This is one of those events you remember second for second! I asked my son to watch the kids and I went out on the porch and made the call that is now the moment in my life I was scared the most. She told me someone said he was missing so she went to the house and the police were everywhere, they wouldn't let her in the house and said he is missing.

I instantly hung up, dropped to my knees and began to pray. The prayer started out praying for him to be safe, just off somewhere upset and quickly changed. I remember feeling a peace, as ironic as that is, and my prayers changed. I prayed that God would take him in his arms and protect him. Then the brain took over and i was caught in a cyclone of images and what if's.

I called the police and told them who I was and I wanted to know what's going on with my brother. See, Jeremy and I had a definate brother sister relationship. Jeremy never grew up and that bugged me because I seen potential in him and wouldn't settle for less. Well, things ended us face to face January of 2011 where he was forced with a decision. He was blessed with two beautiful boys that he loved more than anything in the world. He had to choose life the hard way or the way that led to happiness. Well, he choose happiness! He got on his feet and got a great job working for people who truly cared about him, he was not just an employee, but part of a family there.

Over time, he became the man, father, son and brother he always wanted to be. He had his boys and his family and he was happy! He desided that he can be a good dad without the mother, who was not as interested in living right.

Jeremy and I have something in common that I see as a blessing and a curse. We both love hard and always want to help people. Jeremy would take people in when they had no place to go and help them if he could. Well, he met a girl and fell hard. If only he knew she was bad news!

The police wouldn't tell us much, so we went out searching. Praying he was just hurt and needed help we searched into the night in teams. Yelling out, "Jeremy" with fear in every word! How could this be happening to us? Surely it was just a nightmare. Well, then we got the call.

The detective I spoke to asked me if I knew of D and Antonio... we would soon know them better than we ever needed to. We found out 1st hand that evil does walk among us. We were asked to meet at the new gas station downtown. There standing in the parking lot we got the news that would sweep over those who love Jeremy the most like a sand storm! Knocking our feet out from under us and taking our hearts with it! Detectives told us that Carolann, the girl my brother had fell for planned and murdered my brother with this Antonio and D. That they had found his body in a shallow grave. Antonio led them to him.

This is Lafayette, IN not LA, Chicago, New York or any other place this would be heard of more often.

Questions stirring in my mind needing answers, but not slowing down enough even to ask the questions! NUMB! Can't breathe. What, When and certainly WHY!?!

This was an unpleasant change in my life and a lot of peoples life!
RIP Jeremy Kye Gibson, I love you and miss you more with each passing day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jeremy's tombstone was featured on CNN in a story they were doing.

    I googled his name and came across your blog.

    Here is the video from CNN:

    http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/tech/2012/04/24/dnt-high-tech-tombstones.wxin

    I also snapped a photo of the video:

    http://tinypic.com/r/15i0ugx/6

    Just wanted to let you know about this.

    Maybe Jeremy being in the story will help bring more attention to murder victims, other people will probably google his name as well.

    I'm sorry to hear about your brother, he seems like he was a fun guy and really loved his boys. I hope you get justice.

    ReplyDelete